Yeah, this was not the sort of "org day" we have in the military. I spent most of my Sunday (trust me, it was restful) getting systems down to make our days easier.
It started out when I got up just before the kids at almost 8, and still had to get ALL of breakfast ready. I also had no idea what my day would entail, when I would get to exercise, do my Bible reading, and get the laundry done. On top of this, I had to call another chaplain's wife and touch base with our PWOC president. I had been through days like this before. I knew that I wouldn't nearly get everything done I desired.
I had had one day too much! I had met with a good friend the night before, and offered to help her organize her house. However, I realized that I was too tired of not staying up on my own tasks.
So, first, I developed a chore chart for me, with suggested times of day to get my tasks done. I am so relieved to have that done! I know that there are some great charts out there, but I needed to make sure they reflected my own tasks I had to accomplish. Then, we dusted off "Accountable Kids" for Shana and even for John to get them re-started on the right track with their chores and their behavior. Shana took to it right away.
My only concern with the whole chore process is my own tendency to be inconsistent. I'm really concerned about it. I also don't want to load her down with a ton of chores, too many to allow her to respond well. I think I can use it to help her manage what she does. She really wanted to do her evening chores in the afternoon, so I can tell I'm going to have to help her wait to do some of them until she actually hits evening time.
I don't know what to do about the consistency part, except to be intentional about holding to the same standard every day, and keeping the book handy to refer to it. I am excited to make these charts a better part of our day, so we can have more time for ourselves, to play together and stay together.
1 comment:
Sometimes I think setting up the systems is the hardest part! I hope the lists and charts help you. :)
Post a Comment