Saturday, August 04, 2007

Obedience and Submission

I'm stepping into a season of life where I'm finding a need to submit. What God has done lately is convict me that I have often taken shortcuts to accomplish a goal, and that what He requires sometimes is complete obedience to doing things His way. I can't explain it, but I know that He is calling me to a higher standard.

1. There are people in authority that need to be obeyed, and they can be trusted with my well-being and their experience,

2. It wastes my time and precious life to reinvent the wheel, especially if they have alread traversed this ground and told me about it,

3. If I do reinvent the wheel, I may go it alone and thus miss the blessing of walking this life with others,

4. Life can be taken one day at a time, and thus savored,

5. God loves us and wants only the best for us. Of course, sometimes that means pain, but it also sometimes means blessing.

It is better for me to submit and be obedient to God and to those in my community than to "boldly go where no one has gone before" because it might mean that I miss out on that blessing.

Sometimes it is ok to lead, but it is certainly also ok to follow. I'm certain that of the disciples at least Peter was headstrong as I am, and though he fought with Jesus on many occasions, he ultimately submitted to Jesus and did what He said. We have account after account of it in the Gospels, and then we know Peter literally risked his life after Jesus's death and resurrection. He died for the One who led him. He learned the lesson.

Oh, that I would not finally submit, but would do so each and every day!!!

No comments: