So, I explored the idea of homeschooling further. I surrendered to the idea, and even researched different curricula. I explored and even purchased Sonlight P4/5, and promptly realized that for me it didn't work. The books were a bit too violent for Shana, and the readings seemed disjointed. It also comes with way more material than one could do in a year, and I really felt that with my compunction to complete tasks and check things off lists, then I would not really like it myself. We read New Toes for Tia, and Shana got scared. I had a friend using this curriculum, so I was able to pass it along to her.
I also stumbled upon "Five in a Row," a literature-based unit study in which one uses a specific book to learn about social studies, language arts, applied math, science, and art. It is a sweet program, one in which students learn much about the world around them and fall in love with particular books. The originators even offer a Bible study supplement and a cookbook to accompany the family's lessons. I was missing a connector, a spine to weave together all the lessons into a cohesive bunch.
Then, I found "Heart of Dakota." A friend mentioned it to me, and I researched it. Upon first glance, I didn't understand how scripted it was and decided to forego it in favor of Ambleside Online. Both of these curricula are based on the precept and principles of Miss Charlotte Mason, a 19th century British educator. I'm not going to do her philosophies justice, but essentionally she believed in the following:
- Informal education for toddlers and preschoolers, waiting for formal education until age 6
- Learning through play and nature studies
- Reading focuses on comprehension, and that is monitored by narration, an essential skill in education
- Short lessons keep students' attention and reinforce skills on a daily basis
While both programs still require the parents to choose phonics, math, and handwriting, Heart of Dakota has a program picked out that seems to be challenging and methodical. It also is Christ-centered, providing the cohesiveness and Biblical focus I sought. Christ is interwoven into every day's lesson in such a way that the child can form a Biblical worldview without the parent trying to find a way to insert Christ into books that are read.
In the meantime, as all this was occurring from October 2010-December 2010, I was teaching in the Christian school. More on that in "Our Journey to Homeschooling, Part 3."
No comments:
Post a Comment