Monday, September 12, 2011

Reluctant Convert to "Managers of their Homes"

A friend recently gave me a 1998 copy of the original book by the same title.  I had avoided the Maxwell's materials without any real research on their standpoints on certain issues.  I am sure that they do a lot of good in the homeschool community, but I saw them as a bit too extreme, so I avoided them until my friend gave me the book.  Someone hands me a free book, and I'll at least flip through it.  Kinda like getting party leftovers.  :)

Simultaneously, we had been having major issues both focusing our free time during our days, integrating with PS friends on the playground after school, and limiting ourselves to suitable activities as extracurriculars.  So, I was desperate to try anything to help us use our time better and limit meltdowns.  When you have a 5-year-old and a 2-year-old, it is a major accomplishment to reduce tantrums.  I was ready, though.  I'm too old for some of this!

I got up early this morning (not on purpose; I just woke up) and so I put that time to good use fitting the puzzle pieces of our lives together to make something relatively workable.  Today was good!  I found it helpful to have a guide for our days, and also discovered that I need a little more of a plan for Boy-O, at age 2.  I have to give him credit; at 2, he wants to track along with Girlie, who is doing Heart of Dakota's Little Hearts for His Glory at half speed for kindergarten, along with some other things.

So far, so good.  However, my plan shows that I should be going to bed, so I'd better sign off!

2 comments:

S.T.S. said...

I just put myself on a schedule. I to am reluctantly following it. My kids adore the structure. I think I'm rebelling which is why Idson't like it even tho its working so well...

Heidi said...

I agree, Sara! I kinda miss my "freedom!" :) But not so much so that my kids need to go to school, lol! I'll be praying for you if you will pray for me...