Wednesday, October 26, 2011

After feedback, I tweak my perspective

I just blogged about the perils of a social bug like myself being the mommy teacher of our homeschool.  I got lots of good encouragement from friends which made me feel so much more like owning the fact, for instance, that we are right on track with my goals for us!

My goal is that Shana complete two units of Little Hearts for His Glory (the K-1 equivalent for Heart of Dakota's curriculum) every month, placing us squarely with finishing this curriculum by the end of her normal first grade timeframe.  So, if we shoot for three days of school a week, we more than adequately reach our goal, since each unit has five days of instruction.  The sixth day can be a flex day, and we currently use that for Geography review or for study in our science curriculum in preparation for our homeschool co-op, which we attend on Fridays.  We have sometimes done a book from the Five-in-a-Row curriculum, and, for example, right now we are reading How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World.  Shana wants to make an apple pie, and we'll probably do that for our unit's cake walk at their fall party this Friday night.

So, I guess we are doing ok.  I think with advance planning and follow-through, we will maintain our goal, and reach it.  My friend Jess suggested we school at the same time every day, and turn off the ringer.  I should avoid social plans during that time.  My other friend Laurel reminded me that learning happens all the time, and so we should not view learning opportunities in a compartmentalized fashion.  My sister-in-law, Ann, who homeschools my nieces, told me to be easier on myself.  I just wanted to be accountable, but I appreciate her encouragement to lay off!  ;)

I took these points from my feedback:
1.  Choose a time every day when optimal learning happens to plan our formal lessons
2.  Remember that strategic socializing is important, and possible when you homeschool
3.  Set goals for yourself, but don't beat yourself up when they are not achieved, unless you became lazy!
4.  Remember that you homeschool partially because it fits into a busy lifestyle full of ministry, and sometimes you might have to let situations dictate your timing. 
5.  Flexibility is key, but only when partnered with discernment!

No comments: