I'm not sure the "new age" of pluralism is all that it's cracked up to be. In the marketplace, one can see the impotence of watered-down observances of Christmas and Easter that is sure to make the average evangelical Christian sweat. We all believe in offering a hearty "MERRY CHRISTMAS" to those who would say "Season's Greetings." And we're pretty proud of ourselves that we can be so bold in our day and age.
In the military, my context, I see that the watered-down aspect of pluralistic Christianity only serves to divide all those of faith into different corners (although a room with as many corners as you'd need would practically be round). We all tend to assert why OUR particular brand of Christianity is the superior one and point out flaws, omissions, or shortcomings of other ones.
I've most recently seen one brand of church assert that their version of the Bible is the only authoritative one, and all of us other helpless creatures are hopelessly swayed by the evil one himself. I've also seen others pledge to forego certain foods to maintain purity, or others completely inundated with the allure of their individual church body second-guess or even question the viability of others. I've been to such a variety of church services in Alaska that I know some bodies I've been involved with would wonder if others are truly Christians just based on their worship styles.
I'm not even referring to music. The dichotomy certainly travels down the worship music line too. Some friends who hold a true faith in God fall hard on their hymns and time-honored songs of the faith, to which I have to remind them that some of their favorites are less than 50 years old. Yes, some of the more recent "anthems" are shallow theologically, and this should give one pause. I think people are actually asserting a superiority ecclesiastically just based on tempo, mood, and rhythm.
So, what is happening to the American church? From my vantage point, we are eating each other up and spitting each other out, and judging others who are not like ourselves has become the norm. Jesus, knowing the thoughts of the Pharisees, in Matthew 12:25, said, ""Every kingdom divided against itself will be ruined, and every city or household divided against itself will not stand."
No one I know wants this for the church. So, why are we doing it? I'm fully cognizant that based on the beliefs of some I mentioned in this article, they might not believe I'm a Christian because of MY beliefs, and see no harm done by coming against me with the superiority of their beliefs. However, in Mark 9:40, we see Jesus saying to the disciples themselves, that "he who is not against you is for you." So if I'm not against them, at minimum (although I would wager that I am with them 100% as far as the Great Commission found in Matthew 28:18-20), then why all this pushing away based on issues I don't even see as doctrine, but as preference?
We've got a major issue in the American church, because we are so comfortable speaking our piece that we choose to push others away by saying that their beliefs are inferior to ours. Meanwhile, people are perishing daily without a chance to hear the Gospel, as we stand mildly by, arguing our points.
I'm not trying to argue these specific points, but to use them as illustration. If we are truly all on the same team, we ought to act like it and start preaching the Gospel, whether we use words or not. We have people God's called us to, and we choose to sit in our whitewashed tombs proclaiming our own greatness, to the expense of others in the church!!!
Let's grow up and look for our similarities instead of our differences, and go after those who don't know Christ, and love those who've rejected Him!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment