Friday, January 04, 2013

Resolutions

For some reason, resolutions get a bad rap in American evangelical Christianity.  I find it strange that they do, since I believe the Bible points to lots of reasons we should resolve better in a new season.

Jesus says to drop what we're doing and Follow Him.
Paul reminds us to forget what is behind and strain toward what is ahead.
The author of Hebrews says that in a great cloud of witnesses, we need to throw off the sin and run the race set before us.

It is ultimately clear from these Scriptural examples that we need to be looking ahead to Jesus, run the race set before us.  I don't think we can do that unless we know where we are looking. Yes, we follow Jesus.  Yes, we need to set our minds on what is before us, but how can we do that unless we know what we are looking at?

What we are looking at requires focus, singularity of vision.  Jesus can provide and refine our vision, if we ask Him.  And I think resolution formation is a great time to ask Him what our focus needs to be.

No comments: