Tuesday, September 04, 2012

LHFHG Unit 20 Weekly Wrap-Up

So, I'm hitting this a couple of days early, in anticipation of finishing Unit 20 this week.  Shana has been doing so well in school.  I have to attribute this to external motivation, but hey, whatever works!  When a friend and I explained the progression of handwriting to cursive, something she really wants to learn how to do, she all of a sudden had a fire lit under her to abandon her A Reason for Handwriting K (meaning Kindergarten) book for the ARFH A (typically used during first grade)!  At this rate, she will be able to transition to cursive writing at third grade.  If she can work quickly, she can do it starting at the end of second grade.  But I am NOT planning to rush her!  She can finish ARFH A during first grade, and then move to ARFH B.

In math, she is sailing along with subtraction.  They are using visual aids, which I think really help her.

We are studying important Christian figures after the time of Christ right now in history.  This week we have discussed St. Patrick, Boniface, and Charles the Great.  She is enjoying learning about these men of the faith who took the Gospel to various places around the Roman Empire.

We did a learning styles test this week and found that she learns both audially and visually.  I am not surprised by this at all, but we will take that into consideration when we present various material and as I continue to refine how we set up our school area and do our school day.  I'm thinking of alternating activities that use writing with ones where she can just listen and look, as opposed to trying to get all her listening and seeing done up front.  Maybe that's why we've fought over the past year on her schoolwork, trying to get it all done!

Here's a picture of her doing her art project based on Charles the Great's scolding of some rich, lazy boys:

No comments: