Thursday, February 09, 2012

Major Changes Leading to More Enjoyable School Time

First, I have to say we have had a GREAT week with HOD's "Little Hearts for His Glory!!!"  What's made a huge difference can be boiled down to three things I think every homeschooling mom can relate to.

1.  We eliminated the need to leave every morning!  I was having a really hard time changing my usual behaviors to a family that stays home and starts school first thing in the morning!

2.  I have a check sheet that helps me monitor how much school we get done.  I am attaching it so you can see what I did.  It really helped to see, first, that we can eliminate those outside appointments and get a lot more school done.  It also has helped to track and see how well we are progressing through the guide.  I just had nightmares of Shana being 11 and starting Preparing, just because we were slack and trying to satisfy my own desires for free time, rather than prioritizing school and losing opportunities for meaningful impact on my kids' lives!!!



3.  I have retained the authority in my family.  Without going into a lot of detail, I will say the Lord showed me I had just become lax and more inclined to give in to my children's God-given strong wills without asserting my own.  God did a sudden, deep work in me that I have seen His fruit of this week.  I've been able to speak lovingly but firmly when my children have sought their own ways.  Graciously, the Lord has shown me how inclined they are to submit under these new circumstances.  I don't understand it myself; call it the Holy Spirit at work.

It has been super fun to progress through these past two weeks.  We have averaged 2/3 speed as we have gone along, and most days we do a full (LH+RH) day's worth of LHFHG, to help us average that much school.  We have Bible study one day a week, and Friday mornings we do a LHTH co-op with another little boy for my son John's sake, so he can have a "preschool" we still do as homeschool.  :)

My next blog entry will actually review our week of school!  :)

No comments: