Saturday, February 18, 2012

Systems Make All the Difference!!!

It is Saturday, so technically I shouldn't be running around my house frantically cleaning up or getting things done.  However, I've definitely been there and done that!!!  I am thankful today for the many "systems" at SAHMs' disposal to make their lives easier!!!  Here are a few of my favorite:

1.  Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit, of course God the Father, and the word of God, the Bible, for providing instruction and reproof.  Today I'm especially cognizant of the fact that I often indulge myself.  As we head into Lent, I'm thankful for that reminder now and will prayerfully consider my actions and thoughts on a frequent basis to find out what I'm indulging in and STOP IT.  :)

That makes me think of a popular Bob Newhart clip (please note, this is inserted for humor's sake, not as a real treatment!) that covers this specific remedy.  Here it is with a PG-14 rating.  So if you have littles around, please wait to watch it.  I can't recall any cursing; I believe it is just that there is situational risk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0lr63y4Mw

PLEASE NOTE, on a serious side:  If you are going to "stop" a certain behavior, please pray Jesus into the void that is created to determine what to place in the behavior's spot.  I'll post on that later.  Never, never, never just plan to STOP something without knowing what to replace it with!!!

2.  FlyLady.net!!!  This is hands-down the best encouragement for maintaining a healthy, clean home.  We adopt many of her principles.  I haven't yet gotten to the Zone cleaning routines, but that is on my radar.  I feel like we need a smaller house before accomplishing that with any success.  ;)

She has schedules, reminders, and tools to help with cleanliness.

3.  Saving Dinner.  What a wonderful tool for answering the question, "what's for dinner?"  Right now, I am amazed that I don't have to wander around my kitchen, trying to figure out what to pull together.  We are all ready for dinner, and I stand amazed and thankful!  You just have to pick the gourmet--tasting menu, and she has already assembled a shopping list for you.  She is inordinately focused on health and healthy eating, which I appreciate, so I love the menus.  Thank you, Leanne!

4.  Heart of Dakota Homeschool Curriculum.  This curriculum is all-laid-out; contains Christ-centered lessons; follows the Charlotte Mason educational philosophy; and uses quick, active lessons to teach our kids.  I can easily adapt it for our busy lifestyle, and as long as I match the skills for the guide with my child(ren)'s skills, I have found a fun curriculum that provides a sense of accomplishment and ease of learning that makes Shana feel great about what she is doing in school.  :)

5.  Dave Ramsey's website and financial principles.  We have been following this for five years and heartily recommend it.  If you have questions, please let me know.  :)

I have systems for cloth diaper laundry, chemical-free cleaning, easy bread-making, and even exercising.  I'll post on those later, if there's interest.  These are a few of my loves, and they make my life more productive so I can do the things God wants me to with the down time.  :)

No comments: